Tuesday 29 March 2011

Marriage.....?


Two people enter into a union – a contract, with no clear terms…..
To love?
Assume here that the good stuff is easy
Does that mean I will mostly be nice to you?
Tolerate the things that irritate me?
Find your shortcomings endearing?
To honor?
Now this one really is tricky – its not even a word we use very often!
It means respected, exalted, with distinction
So lets stick with respect…”due regard for feelings wishes and rights”
Assuming of course either party knows what the other feels, or wishes for, or what their rights are.
Bizarrely the honoring bit is a whole lot clearer than the loving bit.
So if you say mean things to me when you are drunk, because I love you I will forgive you, despite the fact that you have disrespected my rights as your spouse in expecting to be treated with due regard, assuming of course that I had not in fact misunderstood your wishes and deep feelings of sexual need at the time and rebuffed you, failing to honor my obligation to love you….
In good time and bad….even if you were the cause of the bad time?
In sickness and in health …..do STD’s count? Or is there a no penalty opt out clause to cover you here?
For richer or poorer – well I guess that’s ok, you should have been able to work out where you would land financially.
For better for worse – completely ambiguous – no one actually knows what that means
And my personal favorite – To have and to hold??? Really ?????what could that possibly mean? Does it mean I can touch you whenever I want? Does it imply ownership over one another?
If the waters are not muddy enough for you already, having entered into an extremely unclear contract – there is a third, silent party in on the deal! God..you have also entered into a covenant with God, I am uncertain as to whether this is each of you singularly or as a couple – anywho, God is the silent partner in your contract with whom you have made a sacred promise – I take this to mean that on pain of hell fire if you cods up on any of the very clear terms laid out above God has the right to send you south bound when you snuff it.
Personally I don’t know why they took obey out – we all understand what that actually means
Also – no clause for if your partner is in breach it would seem that regardless of what they may do or not do if you break the sacred promise your just as culpable in the eyes of God – very fair!
Why all the gay people wanted in on this continues to baffle me….?
However there must be something to be siad for the people that all march determinedly down aisles signing up for this dewey eyed with hearts filled with hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment